Greetings audio drama scriptwriters!
The MTB Audio Drama Scriptwriting Competition celebrates exciting aural storytelling with a $250 first prize and $100 second-place prize. Authors retain all script rights.
The theme for 2021’s competition is adventure and comedy scripts that engage and amuse audiences.
There’s no fee for entry. We simply ask the following:
- Please keep to one entry per author.
- Scripts should run no longer than 30 minutes (approximately 30 pages of script)
- The script should be your original work/story. Adaptations of another author’s works or use of proprietary characters such as Dr. Who, Frankenstein, or Othello will lead to disqualification.
- Please keep the script appropriate for listeners of all ages by meeting the following conventions:
1) Avoid swearing. which includes “damn,” and “hell” and “God.” Failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification regardless of context.
2) Avoid implicit or implied sexual context. Romantic affection is fine. Details about intimacy are not.
3) Avoid graphic depictions of killing or torture. It is understood that people can get bumped off for dramatic capital if needed (which is not to say it is necessary to do so) but if you do please avoid disturbing intimate details.
- Given the current world situation, please refrain from submitting dystopic/pandemic fiction. This isn’t to say the subject can’t make for compelling drama, but a goal of this competition is to foster scripts that provide an escape for audiences of all ages from hearing about this topic.
- Make sure your script is action/plot driven. To meet this criteria (and prevent repurposed stage plays) each script should have at least one location change.
- Please make sure it is free of visual stage directions such as “Shonna blows him a kiss. He nods knowingly as Tyler silently walks off stage” or stage play set design details.
Entry deadline May 28th 2021.
Winners will be announced on June 21st 2021.